Skip to main content

Courage v/s. Burkha

Much can be said about this movie. I feel compelled to begin by talking about the film's end. Some people with whom I have had the chance to discuss the film did not seem satisfied with the film's end. But I don't feel that way; I thought it was a realistic end in the sense that for so many women, irrespective of their background, transgression does not happen that easily... Its too long a struggle which has to be met with persistence. And I felt that's what the final sequence does - it takes the characters' struggle or oppression to a chaotic peak to shatter their expectations to overcome their oppressive circumstances or to fulfill their desires. Yet, these women are not down and out. The final conversation suggests that they haven't given up and they are still engaging with their problems; the optimism is latent, not explicit. The end leaves these characters and the audience in the middle of their struggle/rebellion. Besides, there is already a Queen or an Angry Indian Goddesses (I am yet to watch Parched..!), which have happy transgressive endings.

PRI lipstick under my burkha GIF

Technically, I loved the voyeuristic visual style and narration adopted by the writer/director; it allows us to empathize with the inner, repressed world of the four women protagonists. Also, many scenes in the film actually provide shock humour (or voyeuristic comic relief) through the dialogues, figure placement and the overall setting/situations - basically a majority of the narrative focuses on showing the characters in the middle of their transgressive adventures. So, strategically the end concocts a jolt to their adventures! So, it is an intelligent narrative strategy to use anticlimax to end the film (but not the characters' spirit). Overall, this is indeed a prime example of bold and experimental film-making, at least in Bollywood. Respect and more power to the director as well as to the four main lead actors who chose to portray those characters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bareily ka Vidrohi!

This film is a fine example of what good writing and innovative thinking can do to the time tested and beaten formula of love triangles in Hindi cinema! Actually, its not exactly a love triangle, but it has been made to appear in the promos as one. To put it plainly, the story has nothing new to offer; but it is the dialogues, the small town setting and the performances of Rajkumar Rao, Seema Pahwa (yes, I remember her from Aakhon Dekhi , but I think I have also seen her elsewhere. Her dancing talents are a revelation!) and Pankaj Tripathi (perfect for the character! It reminds you of his act in Masaan .) that carry us through the film. I also loved the actor who played Ayushmann's best friend; I am yet to find out his name.  Rajkumar Rao stands out in the lead actors, effortlessly overshadowing Ayushmann Khurana's sincere efforts of a sincere lover with twisted morals. Kriti has made a good choice by choosing this role; the only thing is that her urban person...

Confront IT!

As a child, what was or has been your greatest, deepest fear? What is/are the childhood moment/s when you really felt afraid of what you were seeing, hearing or feeling? Did you ever develop the consciousness to confront your fear during your childhood? Or rather, did it confront you? What happened after the confrontation? Confrontation is a choice. These are some of the questions that last week’s Warner Bros. And New Line Cinema release,  IT,  asks the audience to ask themselves. And while one thinks about these, it is also important to bear in mind that the fears of a child are different from the fears of an adult. Again, fears of a girl-kid are different from the fears of a boy-kid. Some fears are time-driven, time-dependent. Time plays with (y)our mind. Childhood and adolescence come with their own set of fears; youth has its own anxieties and insecurities, likewise for mid-life. The end of life is a fear in its own capacity; perhaps the ultimate fear and the most gen...